Hi, I am Rafael Revi.
Below is a brief chronology of events, experiences and professional work I’ve completed.
- I start using Helidon to develop back-end services. (If you care about performance, like I do, go read about Helidon Nima)
- I start using a Preact based front-end framework to develop front-end services.
- One of the lead developers of a Oracle JET based GUI (front-end) service for other Oracle products to consume in their own Web-based GUIs.
- As one of the lead developers of a microservices platform team, I supported other developers to deliver services for both front-end users and to other Oracle product teams.
- Promoted to Principal Applications Engineer
- Lead a development effort, using Oracle JET, to create a Custom Web Component as a way to modularize, package, and distribute common UI code to be used across multiple product lines.
- As one of the lead developers, contributed to the development of a new microservice based on the actor system framework Akka.
- Contributed to building a http server in front of a actor system based app using the Akka HTTP module (read: REST API).
- Contributed to adding event persistence support using the Akka Persistence module to an actor system based app.
- Contributed to adding a business domain object persistence layer to a actor system based app using the Java Persistence API.
- Documented and performed many knowledge transfer sessions to on-board developers to a new microservice application based on the actor system framework Akka.
- Contributed to an effort to update a legacy Java-based application to meet FedRAMP compliance (read: performed security vulnerabilities scans and updated code to remedy said vulnerabilities)
- Contributed to effort to move a on-premise software product to the Cloud
- Researched and introduced my colleagues to containers, Docker, and to Docker Swarm vs Kubernetes (including a presentation put together by me)
- Researched and introduced my colleagues to Docker for Rails Developers (including live code demo by me)
- Contributed to developing CI/CD pipelines in GitLab
- Contributed to integrating to an ELK based logging service (this included me developing k8s configmaps and lots of kubectl)
- Scrum Master
- Integrated the net-ldap gem into a Rails application
- Removed deprecated code from a legacy Rails application
- Converted a monolith Rails application to a API only application (in preparation for a new front-end framework)
- Integrated the Oracle JET client-side framework into a Rails application
- Mentored and lead junior Rails developers
- Started using Git and GitLab
- Scrum Master
- Introduced Brakeman security vulnerability testing, vulnerability tracking and vulnerability fixing to the software release cycle of a Rails application
- Conducted accessibility testing, issue tracking and issue fixing in the software release cycle of a Rails application
- Implemented use of the http cookie domain attribute in a Rails application
- Upgraded a Rails application to Rails 5.1
- Implemented Localization and Internationalization on a Rails application (a.k.a. i18n)
- Refactored a Rails application to use AJAX the Rails way Updates were on both front-end and server-end
- Introduced junior developers to Ruby and to Rails
- Upgraded a Rails application to Rails 5.0
- Upgraded a Rails application to use the latest versions of JQuery
- Updated third-party software (mostly gems) to their latest as part of the software release cycle
- Contributed to the development of bash shell scripts which would backup application critical config and data to improve upgrade process for customers
- Promoted to Senior Software Developer
- Integrated audio media playback to ObserveIt screen capture images as part of a complete solution (for the contact center industry)
- Updated a Rails app/product to use HTTPS by default
- Developed Ruby based scripts that use the openssl gem to generate certificates, encrypt plain text strings, and generate key-stores as part of my teams dev tooling kit
- Lead effort to rebrand a UI to use Oracle branding assets
- Developed Rails integration tests, using Capybara and the Selenium Web Driver, as part of TDD effort
- Contributed to bash shell scripts used for generating software builds
- Acme Packet, Inc. is acquired by Oracle, Inc.
- Attended the JQuery Conference in Toronto, CA. Soon after, built a JQuery Mobile prototype of a product for the ISR team at Acme Packet. The prototype eventually becomes a supported product and component of the ISR platform.
- Attended the Wicked Good Ruby Conference in Boston, MA. In addition to the conference, I attended and completed the Refactoring Rails Workshop by @kytrinyx at the DockYard offices in Boston, MA.
- Integrated the ISR Dashboard to the BroadSoft’s BroadWorks, SOAP based, Single Sign On API.
- Recipient of an Acme Packet Innovation Award in recognition of an ISR GUI test tool using JMeter.
- I receive a Master of Science in Information Technology from Bentley University.
- Attended the MongoDB Conference in Boston. Designed a prototype of a database for a potential product for the ISR team at Acme Packet. Additionally, performed load tests on a 10M+ document MongoDB database.
- Received a Certificate of Completion for CS169.1x Software as a Service from BerkeleyX, EdX.
- Throughout this year, I enhance the ISR Dashboard to support the relative new SIPREC protocol for VoIP Recording. As part of this enhancement, we built an Advanced Searching feature for multi-relational metadata (read: Adv. SQL queries).
- Newfound Communications, Inc is acquired by Acme Packet, Inc. for their IP Call Recorder product. The IP Call Recorded become the Net-Net Interactive Session Recorder (ISR). I stay on as Software Engineer with a focus on GUI development for ISR.
- I maintain two different dashboards for the ISR. One is J2EE based and the other is Ruby on Rails based. I migrate them both from running on Windows to running on Linux. I become solely responsible for the phasing out the J2EE based dashboard and migration all features to the RoR based dashboard.
- I develop a dynamic IVR solution for the State of Utah’s Poison Control Center. This includes full stack design and implementation. The stack consisted of a MySQL database, a J2EE based IVR application running on Tomcat, and a GWT based J2EE GUI also running on Tomcat.
- I start to performance test Newfound Communication’s home grown products more extensively. I use JMeter to automate performance testing and place heavy traffic on the IP Call Recorder’s GUI. I also test the performance of the GUI against large volumes of data (100M+ database records).
- This year I start collaborating with the Research and Development group engineers on Performance Testing every aspect of the IP Call Recorder. I generate SIP traffic with SIPp, monitor and optimize the impact of large volume of data on the product, etc.
- I learn Ruby, Ruby on Rails and JQuery! I start contributing fixes and new features to the IP Call Recorder’s User Dashboard.
- This year I start work on Perfomance Testing. I work on monitoring the impact of large volumes of data on the GUI we’ve developed for some of Newfound Communication’s customers.
- This year I learn Google’s Web Toolkit (GWT). I contribute bug fixes, new features, and performance enhancements (mostly SQL optimization) to a GWT based GUI for one of Newfound Communication’s biggest customers.
- Developed IVR applications that integrate to the Newfound Communications IP Call Recorder, an enterprise grade VoIP call recorder.
- I start to help provide customer support during the off hours for the hosted business of Newfound Communications, Inc.
- This year I start using Java at a professional level. I develop J2EE applications to serve dynamic content for voice apps. I use Hibernate and Spring on the backend to speed up development and focus on the business requirements.
- This year I learn VXML and about Interactive Voice Response (IVR) application design. Designing IVR applications, through flow of dialog, teaches me the importance and value of user experience. I also integrate the voice apps to the two leading platforms for IVR: Nuance’s Platform and Voxeo’s Prophecy.
- June - Accepted and started a full time employment as a Software Engineer at Newfound Communications, Inc. for the Professional Services group.
- May - Received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems and a Minor Degree in Computer Science from Merrimack College. In addition, I also received the following honors: Magna Cum Laude, Dean’s List, J. W. O’Brien Scholarship, and Merrimack College Presidential Scholar.